Pre-Departure Preparation for China

The first thing you need to do before leaving for studying in China is to get an X Visa (Student Visa). Here are the steps:

Step 1: Receive original Admission Letter and JW202 form from your Chinese university

Step 2: Do physical examination and get your Physical Examination Record

Step 3: Go to the nearest Chinese embassy or consulate to Apply for an X/F/L Visa

Receive Original Admission Letter and JW202 Form

Once your application is accepted by the university,  Digi Edu Pro/school will send you by courier (TNT, DHL, UPS, and EMS, etc) a document package containing the original JW202 Form and Admission Letter. You will need to submit these two original documents along with other required documents to the nearest Chinese consulate or embassy to apply for your X visa.  The JW202 form is a basic document required by the Chinese embassy for applying for an X visa. Every JW202 form has its different code which is issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education (MOE), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), the Ministry of Public Security (MOP) and local governments. So there is no need to download a JW202 form and fill it by yourself.

The Chinese embassy will only accept the JW202 form after the following procedure. It must be filled by your university in China in an official way and also stamped and signed by the university chancellor. The form must be submitted by the university to the local representative authorities of MOE and the Chinese government for further approval. Those authorities will stamp on the JW202 form in 1-2 weeks if it has passed the verification process.

Do the Physical Examination

All the students who will apply for an X Visa need to do a physical examination before applying for your visa. In most cases, you must submit the completed original physical examination record Foreigner Physical Examination Form when you start to apply for your X visa. It will be better to complete the physical examination in an official local hospital which is accepted by the Chinese embassy and it will make your visa application procedure more smoothly.

Check the website of your nearest Chinese Embassies or Chinese Consulates for details.

Apply for an X/F/L Visa

Chinese visas are classified based on your purpose to go to China, such as tourism, education, or employment. For overseas students who intend to study in China for longer than 6 months, an X visa is the most secure choice.

X visa (student visa) is issued to those students who are interested to study in China or an internship for longer than 6 months. The other two categories (F visa and the L visa) visa are appropriate for international people. But those visas are not for international students.

F visa (known as a business visa) is issued to those who are invited to China for a visit, an investigation, a lecture, to do business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges, short-term advanced studies or internship for a period of no longer than 6 months. These types of visas are not for long term education in China. Generally, Chinese Exit/Entry Administration Bureaus regards an F visa holder as a business visitor and they don’t offer Residence Permit for foreigners holding an F visa.

L visa (tourist visa) is issued to those people who like to come to China for sightseeing, visiting family or friends, or for other personal affairs.

It is better for you to apply for an X visa for studying in China because only by holding an X visa will 100% assure you to get a residence permit from the local government which allows you to stay in China legally. If you don’t receive the original Admission Letter and JW202 Form before the starting date of your new semester, you can apply for an L visa instead.

Please be sure to contact Digiedupro or your university in advance to make sure there will not be any problem for you to enter in China to study with an L visa. According to recent regulations and laws in China, the option of using “L visa” to study in China is only available for students from North America, South America, Europe, East Asia, and Southeast Asia, etc. It will cause you some trouble to use an L visa if you blindly apply for it. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of using an L visa or you may be discharged because of no Residence Permit.

Documents needed for visa application:

  • A valid passport with at least 6 months remaining validity and at least one blank visa page in it;
  • Chinese visa application form: Do Visa Application Form perfectly, completely, and clearly filled out and signed.
  • Photo: one recent passport photo (2×2 inch)
  • Original and photocopy of Admission Notice (issued by the university in your offer package)
  • Original and photocopy of  JW202 form (issued by the university in your admission package)
  • Visa fees (Fees vary from country to country)

These are the things that you should concern to bring with you after the visa.

To help you prepare better, We suggest you pack something –

  1. Documents & Certificates: Your passport/visa, related health certificate and other important documents that you may need to show at customs and university.
  • Letter of acceptance (JW201/JW202)
  • Passport and copies of it
  • Plane tickets and Calendar
  • Tuition receipt or original script of remittance High school/ University transcripts and certificates
  • ID photo (color photo with white background, 2 inch, about 12 pieces, you may need them everywhere) Graduation certificate and diploma and so on.
  1. Currency: Although exchanging currency in China is very easy but it would be better if you could bring a small amount of Chinese currency along with you. This will help you to save your time and avoid the unnecessary problem at the airport. We suggest you keep 500-1000 RMB in cash when you first arrive for transport and check-in.
  2. Electronic Products & Fittings
  • Mobile phone
  • Computer
  • Plug converter
  • Mobile hard disc or USB drive Data wire
  • Extra batteries/charger Mobile Power Source Earphone
  1. Contact: To keep with you the Address and phone number of your university admission office.
  2. Food: If you are about to stay in China for a long time and not used to Chinese food, you can bring some snacks and dry food with you. If you want to cook by yourself then you have to bring some spices from your country such as turmeric powder, Cumin powder, Chicken/ Beef masala powder etc.
  3. Medicine: Bring some medicine you usually take in your country (it must be over-the-counter drugs. Prescribed drug can be taken in only with doctor’s certificates). You can keep some medicine such as saline, band-aid, paracetamol, Flagyl, paradol, for your first-aid.
  4. Accessories: It will be smart to bring vaseline, moisturizer, lip gel, lotion, umbrella, Glasses or Contact Lenses etc.
  5. Clothing: China is a big country, to base on city weather varies. It’s suggested to bring a pair of shoes, t-shirts, shirts, pants, undergarments, Hat, Scarf, Mask trousers, winter clothes, one formal dress, and a traditional dress to represent your country culture etc.
  6. Toiletries and Cosmetics: Most toiletries can be purchased in China. Some of your favorite brands may be hard to find, expensive, or unavailable in China. Though major brands such as P&G, Johnson & Johnson or Loreal are widely available at large supermarkets. Better to keep these things with you~
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Towel, Bath Towel
  • Personal Skin Care Products
  • Toilet paper/ Tissue paper / Wet Tissue
  1. Language problem: If it’s your first time to plan a study in China, we advise you to learn some basic Chinese. You can also make a print of your destination places in Chinese along with English that at least will spare you of the lingual sufferings to get to your destination.
  2. Get some apps in advance: If you have a smartphone they would like to suggest you download “hanping” or “Pleco” dictionary on your phone, which will assist you to translate words.
  3. International sites (google,youtube,facebook) and apps(WhatsApp/Viber/skype) banned in China. so you can not use those sites without VPN support. we suggest you open the Wechat app for communication which is most effective in China life.


Students who will study more than 1 year (including 1 year) should apply for Visa X1 before coming to China. People with Visa X1 should handle the Residence Permit for foreigners for 1 month since your arrival. Students who will study less than 1 semester or 1 semester should apply for Visa X2 before coming to China.

Before coming to China, you should take a physical examination in your country according to PHYSICAL EXAMINATION RECORD FOR FOREIGNER. You should bring the original “Foreigner Physical Examination Form” with you. After arrival in China, University will organize you to take verification or recheck in International Travel Health Care Center. The term of validity of the record is 6 months. The record is needed when you handle the Residence Permit For Foreigners. Special documents are required to provide by people under 18.

We wish your success and have a pleasant study trip to China.

Share with your friends


  1. Gabrielly Ferreira Barbosa
    February 19, 2020

    A great and useful piece of information, Thanks for sharing.

    • Digi Edu Pro
      February 19, 2020

      You are most welcome!!
      Please stay with us
      Thank you!!

  2. Chris V. Perreault
    May 23, 2020

    Love this highly informative blog! Either way, stay up the nice quality writing & authentic information.

    • Digi Edu Pro
      May 23, 2020

      Thank you!

  3. Lean K.
    October 3, 2020

    Thank you for writing about this topic. It is very informative for everyone who wants to study in China.

    • Digi Edu Pro
      October 4, 2020

      You are welcome!

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.