Writing a recommendation letter is very challenging this letter is required for some life events like university admission, new job, etc. If you are selected as the right candidate in any university for Master’s program, the university may ask for two or three recommendation letters. Choosing the best person for writing a recommendation letter is tricky.
A recommendation letter is typically written by an employer, professional business connection, client, teacher, coach or someone who can describe your skills, accomplishments, and personality. Before starting to write the letter make sure that the man takes the task seriously, knows you very well and can speak clearly about your quality of work. A recommendation letter proves that the candidate is a good fit for the position of the program.
Why Needs a Recommendation letter
Basically, recommendation letters are used for students admission abroad university in graduate or undergraduate programs and different scholarships and who are applying for new jobs. The authority wants to know what quality the candidate has, what other people think about them.
Though a recommendation letter is talking about your past achievements, but its points to your future performance. A recommendation letter states about you, like what you like to manage, your character traits.
What to Write in a Recommendation Letter
Here we compiled some tips that can help you to prepare the style, tone content, and presentation of your recommendation letter:
- Introduce yourself, add your complete name and state your position.
- Describe the relationship with the candidate, say how you know the candidate and how long you know each other.
- Mention the good things or quality about the candidate like, helpful, clam, work descriptions, etc.
- Give a description of how people interact with him or her like a good player, as a colleague, or as a team leader, etc.
- Explain your opinion, why you think the candidate is suitable for the position or program, and talk about any gaps in the candidate’s skill or knowledge.
- Due date of the recommendation letter, and mention the name, address to whom the letter should be sent.
How to Ask for a Recommendation Letter
Scholarship and graduate school admissions depend on applicants’ personal strengths, weaknesses, and accomplishments. This kind of information can not get from your transcript. This information is available in your recommendation letter, so it is very important to write an accurate and detailed recommendation letter.
Follow the giving guidelines for request your recommendation letter request:
- Choose a person who knows you very well. Most people are busy with their regular work, they are not sitting for writing all the great qualities about you, no matter how close they are. Before asking someone to write a recommendation letter, you need to give some effort. Download a recommendation letter template and write a recommendation letter for you add your best qualities, then send a request mail to the person whom you chose. It will be helpful for him to write a recommendation letter.
- Ensure that the person is available to discuss and write your letter. We recommended to reach the recommender in the early stage of your application process. Maintain some courtesy with your recommender, do not bother while they working or spend time with their family. The best way to communicate with your recommender is via email. You must have to give at least two to three weeks to prepare and submit their recommendation letter. Make a hurry may help you to receive the letter faster, but it could be less impressive information for your admission committee. Keep in mind that nobody wants to do a favour for anyone, where has lacking respect.
- Once your recommender agrees to write your letter, then provide them important documents like photocopies of key pages from the application brochure, purposes of your scholarship, career summary, your activities, educational goals, and educational background details or transcript.
- Provide all submission instructions, deadlines, properly addressed, typed, and stamped envelopes. Before sending to the university admission committee proofread it and give a thank you to your recommendation letter writer.
How to Write a Recommendation Letter
A recommendation letter is a formal letter, it has nothing to show your creativity. Follow the bellow structure for writing a recommendation letter. A recommendation letter is consists of three sections: The body, paragraph, and conclusion.
The first introduction should explain how you know the candidate and introduce yourself. Describe in detail how long you know each other. The letter should start with salutation “Dear X(name of the receiver) if you do not know the name of the receiver began with “To whom it may concern”. It should mention the position of the candidate applying for Write the date on the top of the letter, it will help you to maintain the validity of the letter.
In the paragraph, the writer will explain why you are the perfect person for the position. The writer will give specific information about the candidate like skills, qualifications, and accomplishments. The writer has to provide sufficient and logical examples to support these claims, thus assuring the reader that the letter comes from a credible source who can vouch for the applicant’s eligibility. Keep in mind that, the main goal of a recommendation letter is to form a convincing argument on behalf of the candidate.
Mentioning a candidate’s educational background, activities, and relevant personality traits are more helpful than a lengthy irrelevant talk.
Basically, a recommendation letter is used for a purpose and the writer must have to know the purpose, then the writer will add the skill, achievements, and relevant personality traits.
In the conclusion, the writer should give final thoughts about the candidate’s qualifications. The writer should provide a way to contact them if the reader requires more information, should share their contact details like email or phone numbers. The writer can include their contact details in the conclusion paragraph, in the letterhead, or after the sign-of.
The Bottom Line
Writing a recommendation letter is not easy, it defines a candidate’s quality including skill, activities, qualifications, achievements, character traits and everything. Perhaps, this simple letter carries significant weight to their recipients. it’s important to include details that build a strong case for the candidate.